Saturday, January 17, 2015

Show Us Your Stuff challenge

I was determined to scrap a couple of photos from New Year's Eve just gone. The photos were pretty awesome and it was the first time that my kids made it to midnight! Something to celebrate. They had such a good time with friends :)

I decided to use this month's sketch at Show Us Your Stuff challenge. I flipped the sketch anti-clockwise.



Because the photos are night shots with crazy fluoro effects from their glow wear, I knew I had to approach this a little differently. I remembered an article written by Heather McMahon about scrapping music concert photos that had dark backgrounds and bright colours. I found the article very helpful which was in Scrapbooking Memories Vol 17 No 2.

Using a black base and bright colours was the key, I think.


I used white ink and gesso to stencil in the background. Then I added a bright yellow paper bag as the backing to my photos. 

A number of handmade items include the black pocket with a journal piece inside and the flair badge. 

Lesson to be learned - pay attention to those articles!!

7 comments:

  1. The black pocket is an awesome touch....I remember that article, too. LOOOOVE how you've pulled the colours from the photos onto your page. And the white MM bits are just perfect:):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so good on the black, especially with the bright colours! Brilliant use of the sketch. Thanks for joining us this month over @ SUYS :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sonia, this is fabulous, it really pops on the black. Love it.
    Thanks for joining us at SUYS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks fantastic Sonia! I love the combination of brights against the black background, and the stencilling is the perfect touch, well done! Thanks for playing along with us at SUYS. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. love that added bit of white to the black cardstock. and then that pop of colour.. superb!! thank you for joining in at show us your stuff

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the black and the use of masks!! thanks for sharing with SUYS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - awesome photos with a page to match!! Love the pop of colour and the little pocket is so cool!
    Thanks for joining in at SUYS!

    ReplyDelete