Sunday, January 4, 2015

A random tweet + my current read = my word for 2015

Okay, let me explain the title...And a warning, this post is very introspective.

I read a random tweet on Brain Pickings. It resonated with me:

"When you recognise that pain - and response to pain - is a universal thing, it helps explain so many things about others, just as it explains so much about yourself. It teaches you forbearance. It teaches you a moderation in your responses to other people's behaviour. It teaches you a sort of understanding. It essentially tells you what everybody needs. You know what everybody needs? You want to put it in a single word?
Everybody needs to be understood.

And out of that comes every form of love"

An hour later, as I was reading my current read, 'Wild Cat Falling', I read this...

"Only sometimes I get this feeling I want to talk and make someone understand the way I think. Of course people never do. Mostly they cut me off after the first few don't-care words and start handing out stupid advice and I just freeze up inside. Still, I have this tiny hope that some day someone will listen and nearly understand."

And that's when it stopped me in my tracks. Pure coincidence and serendipitous.

I tried to do Ali Edward's One Little Word in 2014 but it just didn't work for me. I could not find a word that fit. So instead I set some goals and scrapped them. I talk about this in the November 2014 issue of Scrapbooking Memories magazine (Did I just give myself a plug??!)

But there it is was. Within an hour of each other, I saw a word that could help me this year. I've been struggling lately with the big stuff and the small stuff. If I try to understand, then I could stop judging, stop getting frustrated, stop worrying. 

So I've scrapped my word for 2015...UNDERSTAND.


It is a simple layout. I've been embellishing very little lately...
I've written some thoughts on a tag that sits behind the photograph of me.


I cut strips of some pretty Glitz Design papers as my background on Kraft paper. 


I printed out the two quotes and boxed the word understand to highlight them even more.
Some wood veneer and Crate Paper ephemera pretty much completes the layout.



2 comments:

  1. Sometimes things like that happen.. and I dont believe in co-incidence, I believe in providence.. I believe things happen for a reason.. Your layout looks amazing, and I love the less embellished layouts, they can have a greater impact then the ones that are full and embellishment heavy.. I hope your year is filled with greater understanding... of everything...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My. STUNNING page. I think this sort of page is sooo you ----love the part picture, too..... & the bit o' wood is the perfect touch. And yup, nice little plug in there:) And it was a FAB article, so plug away.....!!!!
    Funny how sometimes thoughts just snap together like it was all meant to be - as so obv here......good word. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete